Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Nature of Reality, Consciousness, the Universe – Where Does Your Journey Begin?


In my travels, you can only imagine how many times I get asked “where do I start my journey of exploring these subjects?” I often find that to be a loaded question, because I have spent so many years on my own journey of researching, contemplating, experiencing; asking the big questions; and the myriad approaches to so many aspects of The nature of reality and consciousness. I’ve come to one conclusion: “The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.” –Einstein, Socrates, et al.

It’s funny, because I think I resolved myself to that conclusion some years ago, during what you might call an enlightened moment – an epiphany I had that revealed “your goal in life is not to know all things (even if on some deeply unconscious level we already do) – but rather to explore possibilities! In other words, do not be so emphatic about arriving at a final conclusion about “how things work” because chances are, you will run into another experience that may demand an entire shift in paradigm and you’ll be at ground zero once again. Rather, enjoy the journey, build on the exploration and know that there are “truths” at all levels of reality.

That said; make the process fun and exciting. There are now SO many resources, especially online where you can begin your trek - and still so many books (both classics and new titles) approaching these subjects, from a multiplicity of angles. Below I have for you, what I call a “starter kit” of reading. These are some of the first books I read that I still consider “perennial classics.” I’ve recommended them and given them as gifts to many people! In later years, my area of inquiry got a little more complex and a bit more challenging, albeit, deeply fulfilling. You’ll find that as your interest begins to pick up along with some fundamental level of resonance, you’ll be guided to the resources that are best suited for you depending on where you are on your journey!

Finally, what I also tell people is, at the end of the day, no matter how many books you read or classes you take, there comes a time when you have to put down the book, shut down the “outside” and get quiet with yourself (meditate, contemplate)…just be still. The answers will begin to come. “Stop looking for the guru ‘out there.’ They are no measure to the Guru you already know.” –AB.

An interesting footnote: I’ve often found that if I spend time first in silent contemplation and then pick up a book, seemingly at random, I will find just the right phrase or piece of information that corresponds with the thought which ultimately yields “the answer.” That’s what we call synchronicity!!

Begin the Journey!

*All Titles are available on Amazon.com. Just click on the book image below.

Mind-Awareness-Ability (Easy and fluid reading, these are all classics!)


As a Man Thinketh – James Allen (Written in a poetic tone, this classic is well over a century old and still a top seller. Also,I have seen free and legal downloads for this if you want the e-book. Take a look online).

The Power of Positive Thinking – Norman Vincent Peale (Another classic. My parents had this book on their shelves as far back as I can remember.)

The Power of Your Subconscious Mind – Joseph Murphy (One of my first books on the subject that I read in the 80’s. A simple and easy to understand theory on how the subconscious mind works to form our everyday reality).

Nature of Reality-Consciousness (A bit more complex but absolutely fascinating for the “intermediate” explorer).


Seth Speaks-The Eternal Validity of the Soul – Jane Roberts (see my previously published article: You Create Your Own Reality, So Says Seth, 2001. I consider myself a “student” of Seth’s teachings. Powerful!)

The Nature of Personal Reality – Jane Roberts (I’d recommend reading Seth Speaks before you get into this one. Plus there’s a whole series of Seth books still available including the “Early Sessions.”)

The Holographic Universe – Michael Talbot (Truly comprehensive in its approach with great references for further reading. To this day, one of my favorite books on the subject of the nature of reality and how the universe “works.”)



If you enjoyed this article and would like to see the work of Higher Journeys continue, in addition to my broadcast of Conscious Inquiry with Alexis Brooks on CLN, please consider making a small donation today to keep us going! 
...thank you!